Monday, August 15, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! As you can see from the banner, this is a Lord of The Rings, Jane Austen, Medieval, Regency, Vintage and Fantasy inspired wedding blog. I love weddings, especially theme weddings that focus on lovely traditions and styles of bygone days. I have considered becoming a wedding planner for some years now, and perhaps this will be the start of it for me. I hope to provide inspiration, information and ideas for many people, whether you are planning a wedding at present or not.


For those of you who are wondering what is meant by the name of this blog, I will give a brief explanation. "I plight thee my troth" is a part of traditional wedding vows used for centuries. It is still present in the vows of the Roman Catholic Tridentine Nuptial Ceremony. It is also present in the vows of some protestant denominations. The word 'plight' is defined as; "To promise or bind by a solemn pledge, especially to betroth."  Troth has a similar meaning, and comes from the Old English word for truth. So when a Bridegroom says to his Bride (and vice versa) "I plight thee my troth," he is pledging his lifelong loyalty and fidelity to his bride.
I prefer this form, and I'm going to have my own wedding ceremony someday in the Tridentine form.

I hope that everyone who reads this blog will enjoy it and find it inspiring, I will do my best to update often and present wedding theme inspiration boards!

Also, I owe a lot of my own inspiration to my friend Rachel. She has been doing this sort of thing for a few years longer than I have, and she has discussed these things with me rather extensively. She has sent me so many wonderful links to various sites and photos of many, many lovely wedding related things. Thank you so very much Rachel! ♥

I wish you all blessings and joy as you plan your big day or simply dream about it happening in the future!
Andréa ♥



"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."~Jane Austen

2 comments:

  1. Awww, this is a lovely idea for a blog! And gee whiz, thanks for what you said, I am just glad to have someone to share these things with! <3 You are very welcome! ^_^

    I, too, love the traditional English wedding vows, which come from the old Sarum-rite vows, my preferred version is also the one that includes the older language of "and thereto I plight thee my troth." I also love the older English version of the ring-giving vows: "With this ring, I thee wed; with my body, I thee worship; and with all my worldly goods, I thee endow. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." (and on 'Father', the ring is slid onto the thumb, on 'Son', onto the index finger, on 'Holy Spirit', on the middle finger, and then on 'Amen', finally on the ring finger. I looove that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove all that also! It's yet another reason why I want to have my wedding in the Tridentine form. When I first read the Traditional Nuptial Mass section of my 1962 Missal I fell in love with that ring part of it. So beautiful and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete